You won’t like me when I’m angry….Biiiirrds. …ok lame jokes are my specialty, but that doesn’t make the cake I made this week any less awesome. I created a two tiered angry birds cake for my friend’s son to celebrate his birthday. Apparently it was a pretty big hit…get it? hit? because…angry birds..hit things? Anyway it was actually really fun to make. Including baking I think it took me about 9 hours to complete the cake due to all the detail on our disgruntled friends and their cheeky pig foes, but it was well worth it. This is probably the most detailed cake I’ve ever made – 3 yellow birds, 2 red ones, and 5 pigs, not to mention some wood blocks, yellow stars and a big sun, and grass surrounding the entire bottom half of the lower tier. I also made fondant letters with a silicone mold to spell out “Happy Birthday Alex”.
So lets start from the beginning. The first thing I did was bake the cakes (obviously). The bottom half was a 3 layer, 9 inch circle cake with chocolate on the top and bottom and french vanilla in the middle. The top layer was a 3 layer 6 inch cake, and was all chocolate. I stacked the cakes using wooden dowels. I shaved down the top tier of the cake so that it had that “slanted” look to it. I did this by taking a serrated knife and slowing cutting off one side of the cake on an angle until it was as crooked as I wanted it to be. I covered the cakes in white buttercream and then with fondant I dyed by using sky blue gel food coloring. Once the cakes were covered and stacked, I began with the grass. I colored some fondant green, and using a pizza cutter I cut out triangular shapes that resembled grass. The ends were thin enough so that they would curl inwards. I glued them on by putting water on about 3/4 of the grass piece, and bent it over slightly so that I would get the “grassy” effect. The next step was to create the bright yellow sun. I cut out a half circle with my pizza cutter to make the sun centre, and then used a fondant ribbon cutter to make the sun rays. The back of the cake looked really plain, so I added a jumble of “falling stars”. This also helped hide some of the imperfections towards the back. The top tier had a thin yellow border around it to again, hide any imperfections.
Next, I created the birds and pigs. For the pigs, I rolled green gum paste into a large ball, followed by 2 “ear sized” balls and a “nose sized” ball. I flattened the nose ball and glued itonto the center of the larger green ball. I then added the nose details with an edible food writer (from Wilton). I added these details to the ear pieces as well, and then made small slits where the ears would appropriately go on the pig. I made the eyes with white gum paste. I made two small white balls and then flattened them. I added the black by rolling out black fondant and then using the tip of a small piping attachment (used for making letters and small details) and gluing the small circle into the center of the white circle. I fastened them to the cake using toothpicks.
To create the yellow bird, I rolled out a ball of yellow gum paste, and then using a fondant smoother I slightly flattened some of the sides into an angle going in towards the center ot make the bird look more triangular. I added the white belly. Then I did the eyes. I cut out very small triangles out of white gum paste, and then added the black dots the same way I did for the pigs. I added the black around the eyes using the food writer. I cut out the eyebrows and then glues them on right above the eyes. The “hair” was created by rolling out tiny pieces of black gum paste into cylinder like shapes, and then poking a hole into the top of the birds head. I put some water in the hole and then placed the black cylinder pieces in it. The beak was simple enough. I essentially just rolled out a tiny ball of the yellow gum paste and then shaped it into a triangle using my fingers.
I made the red bird essentially the same way as the yellow, except he had a rounder body shape. His head feathers were made by simply forming two pieces of red gum paste into the feather shapes and then gluing them on to his head. The birds were also secured on the cake with toothpicks.
I rolled brown fondant into cylinders for the logs, and flattened the sides using my fondant smoother. I added the details using the food writer. I secured the stacked logs with toothpicks and water.
Such a fun cake to design! A lot of work – but I am super happy with the design and have no major complaints. I had a hard time covering the top tier for some reason… I put very little icing and kept it in the fridge for a few hours before I put the fondant over it so maybe the buttercream wasn’t sticky enough for the fondant to adhere to the cake. But even then, I was able to hide most of the imperfections. SO enjoy! Happy Baking.